There are so many ways you can benefit from working from home. One good example is that you get more time on your hands to do meaningful work and spend more time with family. This Proofread Anywhere review 2021 will show you just how you can do just that.
It’s one thing to think about working from home but it’s a different thing altogether to put your ideas into practice.
Deciding to work from home is a leap of faith. But who said you can’t do it right?
There are countless ways of making money online. But one of the most lucrative ones is through proofreading jobs.
If you’ve got the eye for grammatical, formatting, or any other inconsistencies in pieces of writing, this could easily be the best option for you to start making money online.
“I’m very interested, but, wait a minute. Where do I start this proofreading thing?”
One of the best places to start if you are a complete beginner is to take an online course. You’ll find lots of these online but selecting the right one is key.
Thankfully, I’m here to help you make this decision. Today, we’ll be talking about one of the most famous online proofreading courses online – Caitlin Pyle’s Proofread Anywhere.
I get it. By now you’ve done lots of research about these online courses trying to pick the right one. It’s easy to see why. There are so many unscrupulous “course creators” out to get you.
In this Proofread Anywhere review 2021, we’ll be asking all the important questions about the Proofread Anywhere controversy.
Questions like. “Is Proofread Anywhere Legit or just another scam?”, Who is it for? What are the benefits of opting in? What are its downsides?
This Proofread Anywhere review 2021 is designed to get you closer to the answers.
By the end of this article, we’ll have summarized all the Proofread Anywhere Reviews to see what people really think about it.
So, let’s get right into it.
What is Proofread Anywhere?
Since you’re reading this, you probably have an idea of what Proofread Anywhere is. Let’s quickly go over it, just in case.
Proofread Anywhere is an online proofreading course created by Caitlin Pyle, one of the most successful proofreaders of our time. It is more than just a general proofreading course.
For instance, it offers content on Transcript Proofreading and another one on the Money Mindset.
Who is Caitlin Pyle?
She is the creator of Proofread Anywhere. Early in her career, she was a successful proofreader herself making more than $45,000 in 2014 from proofreading alone.
Since 2007, she has been helping new proofreaders on their journeys. In 2014, she created an eBook that sold on her website which quickly became popular among proofreaders.
Less than a year later, she launched Proofread Anywhere, a course that contained all the answers to the questions she received because of her successful book.
Is Proofread Anywhere LEGIT or a SCAM?
You should ask this question more frequently about any item or course you buy online.
And in this case, yes, Proofread Anywhere is a LEGIT online proofreading course designed to help proofreaders of all levels to get better at their craft.
Who Is this Proofread Anywhere Course Good For?
Proofread Anywhere is great for anyone who already has the proofreading skill (ability to spot errors in walls of text) plus other qualities such as:
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent quality work
- Can meet strict deadlines
If you’ve got all these qualities, plus a deep interest in proofreading, then this Proofread Anywhere review 2021 is for you.
Proofread Anywhere is also great for anyone looking to be their own boss. This course explains in detail how anyone can start and run their very own proofreading business. Proofread Anywhere will also teach you how to find and keep proofreading clients.
How Does Proofread Anywhere Work?
Proofread Anywhere Courses
Proofread Anywhere offers a free introductory 7-day course after which you’ll have to sign up if you’d like to join. This introductory course includes videos, printable content, templates, and case studies.
Proofread Anywhere offers 2 main courses:
1. General Proofreading – Theory and Practice, and
2. Transcript Proofreading – Theory and Practice.
You have two options if you go for the General Proofreading course: Ignite and Ignite Plus.
Both of these proofreading course plans will teach you not only how to proofread but also how to market your skills and find clients.
However, Ignite Plus contains all the course modules plus a hand-graded test, a certificate of completion, a listing on the Self-Publishing School (SPS) Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex, and also membership in a marketing mastermind group.
And then there is the Transcript Proofreading course which is very technical. And unless you have some background in transcription, I’d just recommend the General Proofreading courses.
You should know that these courses are not something you can binge in a few hours and be done within a single weekend.
They are very comprehensive so you should expect to spend at least a month or two getting through the content (this depends on the course you take).
PROOFREAD ANYWHERE GENERAL PROOFREADING COURSE – Theory and Practice
The General Proofreading course has 9 modules like so:
Module 1: Introduction to General Proofreading
This module provides a general overview of the skills you need to become a successful proofreader. It also outlines the differences between proofreading, editing and copy editing.
Here’s an outline of the module:
- Why Proofread?
- Skills Needed to Become an Excellent General Proofreader
- Who Needs a Proofreader?
- What a General Proofreader can (and Can’t Do)
- Terms Commonly Used (and misused) in Proofreading
- Editing at a Proofreading Rate
Module 2: Getting The Proofreading Mindset
This one outlines the many and varied types of markets you can sell your services in and teaches industry terminology.
- Proofreading niches
- Proofreader jargon
Module 3: The Basics of Proofreading
You’ll be taken through the most common errors every proofreader must avoid. It includes practice worksheets so you try out your skills. Types of errors in proofreading include:
- Formatting – Apostrophes, Hyphens, Commas and Semicolons, Quotation Marks
- Subject and verb agreement
- Noun – Pronoun Agreement
- Commonly Misused Words
- American vs British Spelling Variations
Module 4: Methods of Proofreading + Practice
This module teaches the four different types of proofreading methods, including in-depth techniques how you can use them to your advantage.
- Proofreading Practice
- Proofreading Methods
Module 5: How to Turn Proofreading into a Business
It’s not enough to just be a skilled proofreader. In this section, you’ll be taught how to start building your freelance business.
And this includes things like creating your resume and website, understanding rates and taxes, methods of pitching to clients, and so on.
- A step-by-step guide to setting up your business website
- Creating your website
- Setting your rates and charging your clients
- Taxes and Your Proofreading business
Module 6: How To Find Proofreading Jobs
Here, you’ll be taught the many ways you can proactively land proofreading jobs.
You’ll be taught of the many places you can find clients and different techniques to avoid scammers in the industry.
- Where to find clients – Social Media, Online freelance sites.
- Social media do’s and don’ts
- Online Profiles
- Writing a proposal
- Online Profiles
- Avoiding scammers
Module 7: Once You Land The Job
Okay. You’ve landed your first freelance proofreading gig. What do you do then? In this module, you’ll be taught how to deal with clients. You’ll also be taught how to work with your clients.
By the end, you should be able to deal with client preferences and how to build strong relationships with clients. You’ll also be taught how to bill your clients.
- Starting your career off on the right foot
- Adhering to client preferences
- Building strong relationships with other editors
- How to bill your clients
- Building up your reputation
- How to properly ask for testimonials
Module 8: The Freelancing Life: Getting the most out of it
Caitlin teaches you how to structure your day and helps you to build the confidence you need to succeed.
- A Day in the Life of a Proofreader
- Organizing Your Time to Avoid Burnout
- Gaining confidence
Module 9: Ignite Plus Exam (only accessible to Ignite Plus students only)
At the end of the course, you’ll sit an exam which will evaluate your aptitude in general proofreading.
Bonus Module: The Money Mindset Transformation
This Money Mindset Transformation will teach you several life-changing concepts.
Bonus Resources Included in the Course
The Ignite and Ignite Plus come with bonuses like:
- The Ultimate Freelance Tax Guide – will help you understand some of the tax implications of starting your business.
- Look Better in Writing: Handbook of Commonly Misused (and Abused) Words – a 57-page guide containing some of the most commonly misused words. It also includes a 100-question workbook that will help you to understand how to use them correctly.
- The Mindset Mastery Guide – an eBook that will help you to get the right mindset by overcoming the impostor syndrome, letting go of past triumphs and mistakes, and getting over the fear of getting clients. And,
- 5 Mindset Shifts for Goal-Crushing Confidence – contains more mindset tips to help you get the confidence you need to go after your proofreading dreams.
- 100% free access to the Beginner Basecamp (Level 1) of the Transcript Proofreading course.
- 100% free access to the Money Mindset Transformation Workshop and Workbook.
In summary, General Proofreading: Theory and Practice offers the following:
- More than 40 lessons in 9 modules
- New and updated lessons
- 8 module quizzes
- 100-question in-depth vocab quiz
- 40+ real-life example jobs
- 3 case studies
- Student workbook and syllabus
- 8 grammar-specific worksheets
- Bonus resource guides highlighting all the types of service-provider markets
- Pep talk videos from Caitlin Pyle
- How To Find Your Ideal Clients Guide – eBook
- The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Building Your WordPress Site – eBook also
The best thing about this course is the proofreading practise module. You get 40 practise essays to help you apply the lessons you have learnt from the course.
There are also annotated versions of these so you can see the changes other proofreaders would have made. They also allow you to track your progress.
Apart from teaching you how to proofread, Proofread Anywhere will also show you how to start your very own proofreading business, how to create your website, how to find clients and how to charge them.
TRANSCRIPT PROOFREADING – Theory and Practice
SECTION 1: Theory
This first section will teach you the theory behind transcript proofreading. It talks about the process of transcript production, the role of a court reporter and gives you in-depth training on punctuation that is specific to transcription.
Module 1 – Introduction to Transcript Proofreading
This module will help you to:
- Gain a thorough understanding of the different roles and functions of court reporters, proofreaders, and scopists.
- Acquire a basic understanding of how the steno language works.
- Understand the skills you’ll need to function as a transcript proofreader.
- Learn how to create transcripts and the role agencies play in the finished product.
Module 2: The Nuts and Bolts of Transcripts
This module will take you deeper into how transcripts work, and will also highlight the common mistakes that occur in transcripts and how to correct them.
In summary, you will:
- Learn how to anticipate and recognize all the possible errors that may occur in transcripts.
- Become more conversant with the vocab found in different types of proceedings like EUOs, depositions, trials, interpreted proceedings, hearings, and testimony on various topics including medical, product liability, insurance, general litigation and others.
- Gain a deeper understanding of formatting rules with regard to BY: colloquy, lines, Q&A, marking exhibits, and use of parentheticals.
- Learn transcript-specific punctuation according to Morson’s English Guide for Court Reporters. You’ll also receive individual lessons on transcript-level punctuation usage, capitalization, and commonly misspelt or misused words and phrases.
- Be able to correctly differentiate between uses of American versus British English spelling and punctuation within transcripts.
SECTION 2: Practice
In this section, you will focus on four of the most widely used techniques of transcript markup. After selecting a method, you are required to perform extensive practice on mock transcripts at different levels of difficulty.
Modules 3 & 4 – Marking Up Transcripts (The Four Methods)
- You’ll be taught the four methods of properly correcting transcripts: errata, hard copy and digitally (on a computer and using iOS technology). The advantages and shortcomings of each are discussed at length.
- Using this module, you’ll get more comfortable using an iPad equipped with the popular and powerful PDF annotation app, iAnnotate.
Module 5 – Simulation Transcripts (50 simulation transcripts in 3109 pages)
- You’ll learn to research proper spellings of people’s names, things, and places within transcripts using online resources and others.
- Also, you’ll learn how to perform a thorough read on each simulation job with the exhaustive proofreading checklist provided.
- Self-assessment to check for areas in need of improvement.
- Also includes punctuation and short transcription quiz (you’ll need a 100% score to proceed)
Module 6 – Corresponding Within the Court Reporting Profession
- You’ll learn how to communicate effectively and professionally with court reporters and agencies concerning issues like turnaround time, invoicing, vacation time, and so on.
- This module will fully prepare you to meet court reporting professionals’ demands with excellent customer service.
- This section will teach you the significance of using a customized preference sheet with each court reporter. In the end, you will be able to interpret different reporter preferences based on sheet input.
Module 7 – Billing & Accounting Procedures and Final Examinations
- Understand how billing procedures (for completed jobs) work. These include setting rates, negotiating, and following up on outstanding balances.
- Be able to operate as a freelancer during tax season.
And finally, your aptitude and competence in transcript proofreading will be tested.
Module 8 – Marketing (module only accessible to students that pass the test with a 90% or higher)
- Learn real, personalized marketing techniques that will help you to connect with potential clients through social media and other traditional techniques.
- Get the skill of exceeding expectations as a proofreader.
- Be able to compose a professional resume to display your knowledge and skill effectively.
- Learn how to use social media platforms to build an online presence.
- Brush up on the dos and don’ts of professional marketing relevant to the court reporting industry.
This module also includes a 25-question marketing concepts test.
Module 9 – Final Lesson
- You’ll learn how to identify yourself as a transcript proofreader and how to build confidence in new skills.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the components of a successful freelance proofreading business.
Proofread Anywhere Prices and Plans
7-day introductory course – this one’s free.
General Proofreading Plans
Ignite – $497 for lifetime access to the general proofreading course.
Ignite Plus – $597. In addition to lifetime access to the course, you also get a hand-graded exam, a certificate of completion, listing in a proofreader Rolodex and membership to the private graduate Marketing Mastermind Facebook Group).
Transcript Proofreading Plans
Beginner Base (Level 1) – $77 for 1-week access to module 1.
Jumpstart (Level 2) – for $197, you get module 1 &2 for an extra 30 days.
NextSteps (Level 3) – for $400, you get modules 1 through 5 for an additional 60 days.
Launch and Earn (Level 4) – $500 for modules 1 – 9 and Lifetime access to the whole course.
There is also a four-level payment plan, at $1174, so you can pay as you go.
Proofread Anywhere Reviews
I’ve compiled some of the most important Proofread Anywhere reviews (I think) from the internet. In general, here’s what people are saying about Proofread Anywhere.
Positive Proofread Anywhere Reviews
- The course allows you to learn at your own pace. Unless you go for the 4-level payment plan that is offered for the Transcript Proofreading – limited-time access for each level until you reach level 4, you get lifetime access to all of the General Proofreading courses.
- A ton of the best resources. It’s amazing just how many helpful resources you are offered immediately you get started. Proofread Anywhere will point you in the right direction towards the best how-to guides, books, reference guides, and software use.
- It’s more than a proofreading course. Proofread Anywhere will teach you more than just proofreading. You’ll also learn how to set up your very own freelance proofreading business, and market yourself.
- Excellent proofreading course for beginners. If you’re new to proofreading, Proofread Anywhere will save you years of frustration from learning by trial and error.
- Sets you up for success. If you pass the exam at the end, you get to be listed on the Self-Publishing School’s Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex. You’ll also get a membership to a private graduate marketing mastermind Facebook group.
- You’ll never work alone. Caitlin Pyle’s course has an online community built into it so that students don’t take their proofreading journey alone. You’ll get support from this group as well as some tips, tricks, and work-at-home hacks.
Negative Proofread Anywhere Reviews
- No refunds once you log in.
- Proofread Anywhere will save you lots of time and money in the long run, but it’s a bit pricey. The course costs a lot of money and for some who really need it, their prices might be the only barrier to a successful proofreading career.
- Sometimes, the annotated versions of the practise essays feel like they have been corrected by different people. They are a bit inconsistent. Well, it’s important to remember that different proofreaders have their own styles of working.
- Unless you start creating and selling your own courses, proofreading doesn’t provide great passive income potential. Like it or not, you’ll have to work so many hours a day. Although there are many benefits of working from home, proofreading might end up limiting your earning potential since it takes up a lot of your time.
Proofread Anywhere Review 2021: Final Thoughts
Now that you’ve read this Proofread Anywhere review 2021, I hope that you’ve seen this online course in its truest light. It’s a legitimate and in-depth course that will give you a comprehensive understanding of proofreading.
Proofread Anywhere is excellently designed and will provide you only with the best information and guides so you can thrive as a proofreader.
It doesn’t matter what level you’re at. Beginner, intermediate, or pro, this course has something for everyone.
What I like most about Proofread Anywhere is the practise sheets, exercises, books and guides designed to give you a 360 degree understanding of proofreading as a skill.
It’s clear from this proofread anywhere review 2021 that you’ll learn not only how to proofread but to make money online with this skill. Overall, I think education is always a great investment.
Keep learning, keep growing and there’s no limit to what you can achieve in any field.