Transcription jobs are one of the best if you are looking to work from home. Transcriptionists convert audio and video files into text.
If you’re looking for companies offering remote transcription jobs, keep reading.
In this article, you’ll find the best companies offering the best remote transcription jobs that promise to transform your work-from-home experience.
Before going any further, let’s take a look at some important aspects to get you started with transcription jobs.
Stuff You Need To Become a Transcriptionist From Home?
First, you need some training to acquaint you with the basic concepts of transcription. You’ll need some skills to come up with client-ready work easily.
There are different types of transcription jobs you need to be familiar with. The main types include verbatim and non-verbatim.
Before you start working as a freelance transcriptionist, you have to know how to use each of them.
You’ll also need some tools for every transcription including:
- A pair of noise-cancelling headphones (although regular ones work just fine).
- Fast internet connection
- Some basic computer skills, and
- Software like Express Scribe Pro (optional)
Before you start getting transcription jobs at these sites, you’ll first need to pass a transcription test.
After getting all these in check, you’re good to go.
How Much Can You Make Doing Transcription Jobs?
As a transcriptionist, your pay will vary a lot, depending on projects you work on and the organization/ client you’re working for.
Remote transcription jobs pay depending on the length of the audio or video, and not how long it takes you to finish transcribing the audio. So, to make the most out of these transcription jobs, you’ll need to upscale both your speed and the quality of work you do.
Most remote transcription jobs pay anything around$14 and $30/ hour-long video or audio. If you’re thinking of how much you can earn per month, do the math.
But, it all depends on how good a month you’ve had. In a good month, you can expect to earn $2000+, if you work just for 2 to 3 hours daily.
Ok. With everything cleared up, let’s now look at some of the best sites offering the best remote transcription jobs today.
Sites Offering Online Transcription Jobs Right Now
1. Rev Transcription
This site offers transcription jobs for both beginner and seasoned transcriptionists. This site allows you to transcribe audio and video from academic, human resource, and business domains.
Payments are done weekly through PayPal. And most gigs on Rev Transcription pay anything between $8 and $18 an hour.
To get started, all you have to do is sign up on their page, pass the entrance test and start working. Approval on this site takes not less than 2 days.
- They have a community for transcribers and a working support team
- They have a consistent flow or transcription jobs
- Compared to Scribie, their transcription have modest pay
- The site is easy to use.
- Getting approval from the site is tricky, but if you manage to get approved, you’ll enjoy the benefits this site has to offer.
If you’re relatively new in the market and are looking for a beginner-friendly transcription service, Scribie is your best bet. On average, their gigs will get you $5 and $25/ hour. This is low but the jobs are a great way to improve your skills if you’re a beginner.
To join Scribie, first, sign up on their page and wait to receive a confirmation email. All successful applicants are subjected to an entrance transcription test.
One other crucial requirement to start working on Scribie is to have a verified and working PayPal.
- They offer short gigs that are best for beginners.
- They allow you to return work to their job’s board with no penalties
- The entrance transcription job is paid
- Once you are approved, you get access to all job postings the site has to offer.
- The only disadvantage is the low pay that the transcription jobs offer.
This company also hires transcriptionists internationally. Their transcription jobs are mostly interview audios. So if you’re thinking about working for this company, be prepared to transcribe lots of audios involving more than two parties.
Signing up for Speechpad is easy and will take you no more than 5 minutes. However, this site offers several tests to new members before getting them approved.
They pay twice a week via PayPal. And normally, they pay $0.25/ minute to $1.00/ minute, depending on the projects working on. Also, if you get good client reviews, you’ll start to receive bonuses.
- Transcription jobs are constantly available on this site.
- Quick and easy sign up process.
- SpeechPad hires transcriptionists internationally.
- This transcription company is very strict about ratings. To rank highly, your work has to be the best. If your average rating falls to anything below 95, you’ll not be able to get work on Speechpad.
This transcription company doesn’t require you to have previous experience as a transcriber. And this makes it suitable for beginners. On top of this, their gigs pay quite handsomely. Some transcription jobs on this site will pay upto $45 an hour.
Payments are made weekly via PayPay or Payoneer.
To work with this company, start by signing up on their homepage and wait to take an entrance transcription test. Unlike other transcription companies, GoTranscript allows you to retake the test in a few days if you fail the test the first time.
- Hires transcriptionists globally.
- You can get paid via more than one payment platform.
- Transcriptionists are paid weekly.
- Transcription jobs on this site pay decently.
- You get to make your work schedule.
- Delayed approval, communication, and replies from the support team.
This site usually offers short audio files for transcription.
To get started, sign up on their homepage. You may or may not need to take a test to be approved. And once you’re approved, you’ll be eligible to take as much work as you like on this site.
Casting words pay you anything between $0.085 and $1 per minute of audio. The amount you’ll earn as a transcriber depends on the level you are on and the accuracy of your work.
Payments are made weekly through PayPal.
- Their audios are short and beginner-friendly.
- CastingWords hires transcribers internationally.
- They offer bonuses if your work is consistently accurate.
- Their transcription jobs are more flexible compared to other sites.
- They have a support forum where you can share any issues you have with CastingWords’ support team.
- Beginners’ pay is low compared to other sites.
6. Accutran Transcription
Accutran Global is your ideal site if you’re looking to transcribe anything medical, legal, or financial.
This company hires transcribers internationally.
Unlike most other platforms, Accutran Transcription pays per word. For instance, if you’re a beginner working on simple audios, you’ll earn $0.005 per word, while more seasoned transcribers working on tougher audios earn $0.066 per word.
To start working on this platform, you have to follow a few simple steps on their homepage.
- They have a friendlier hiring process unlike other sites.
- Transcribers are hired internationally.
- Their payments are quite modest.
- Transcription jobs on this site have very strict rules and deadlines.
TranscribeMe is one of the more beginner-friendly sites. To get hired, you don’t have to have any previous experience with remote transcribing jobs.
To join this site, you have to sign up and pass a transcription test – which is easy. But if you fail the test, you can always redo it in just a couple of days.
TranscribeMe’s audios are often 10 minutes or less. Depending on the project, you can earn anything between $15 and $22 per hour.
They also pay weekly through PayPal. However, you can request a withdrawal once you’ve earned a minimum of $10.
- Their approval process is friendly.
- Their transcription jobs offer decent pay.
- They also have short, beginner-friendly jobs.
- Transcription jobs on this site are almost always available.
- To upgrade your level and, therefore, earnings, you may have to sit another test.
8. GMR Transcription
This company hires both beginner and experienced transcriptionists.
You have to work on at least 4 hours of audio per week.
On average, beginner transcriptionists on GRM earn around $300 per month.
- Jobs are beginner friendly
- Decent payment.
- They have flexible work hours.
- Their site has work consistently
- You have to work on a minimum of 4 hours of audio for every project.
This company hires transcriptionists that have worked for a year or more in the field.
They pay twice a month. You’re paid for every word you transcribe. Their rate per word is between $0.05 – $0.06/ word. Payments on this site are made through direct deposits.
Getting approval on this site is quite tricky. To pass the entrance transcription test, you need to transcribe the audio you’re given with more than 60 wpm. On top of that, you need to get more than 90% of the transcription right, to get approval.
As an approved transcriber, you get to work on the hours you pick. During this shift, you’ll be assigned transcription jobs.
You’ll need to transcribe 15 hours of audio per month( at least) to get paid.
- You get a constant workflow.
- The transcription jobs offer decent pay.
- The site has friendly and consistent support.
- This site is unfavourable for beginners transcriptionists because they need you to have at least 1 year experience.
This company hires US citizens only.
They work with clients from diverse fields, meaning you’ll have different types of remote transcription jobs to choose from.
To work for TigerFish, you should have a fast typing speed and great listening skills.
Unlike other sites, they pay per line you transcribe. They pay anything between $0.03 – $0.04 per line.
To get transcription jobs on this site, you’ll first have to pass a test containing a 15 minute audio file. To sit this test, you’ll need to have Express Scribe (free version at least).
- They have a flexible work schedule.
- Workflow is consistent
- Their transcription jobs offer reasonable pay.
- It is limited to US residents only.
11. Daily Transcription
This is one of the most lucrative beginner-friendly sites in this field. They pay anything between $0.75 – $0.85/ minute of audio.
Before working for them, you’ll receive some training. Also, after getting approved to work, you’ll need to select a work schedule during which you’ll receive work.
- Their pay is better than that of most companies.
- You’re given training before starting.
- Work on this site may be a little inconsistent.
You don’t need any experience in transcription to work on Quicktate. All you have to do is pass their entrance test to get a job on this site.
What to love most about this site is the flexibility you get to work with. This site allows you to work the times you feel most comfortable.
Their audios are normally 5 minutes long, or less.
- This site is very beginner-friendly.
- Flexible work makes for the best work-from-home experience.
- Friendlier approval process compared to most other sites.
- Their support is shaky at times.
13. Appen Global
This site is best for beginner transcriptionists. And if you’re multilingual, this company guarantees you constant work and good pay.
To get paid on this site, you have to work on at least 10 hours of audio/ week.
- Constant workflow.
- Their approval process is friendly.
- The site is generally beginner-friendly.
- Workflow is inconsistent for monolinguals.
14. Alice Darling Secretarial Services
This secretarial service hires only experienced transcriptionists. And they only hire when they need transcribers.
The company has a strong reputation.
They don’t display their payment rates publicly.
- A typing speed of 75 wpm.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Good command of English.
- Consistent workflow.
- Variety of gigs.
- Site not for beginner transcribers.
15. Way With Words
This is a site that employs transcriptionists internationally. It is an undiscovered gold mine. Their pay ranges between $33 and $58/ audio hour.
This site pays handsomely but does not compromise on quality (and accuracy) of work.
Expect to transcribe files from different fields. Also, you have to complete at least an hour of audio/ day.
Their payments are made per month through direct deposit.
- Their pay is excellent.
- The company hires internationally.
- Workflow is consistent.
- Flexible – you get to set your very own work schedule.
- Direct deposit payments may be unfavourable for transcribers out of the U.K.
This company hires native English speakers only.
They pay weekly through PayPal. However, they also don’t reveal their payment rates publicly.
Each gig has a price tag attached to it to show you how much you’ll make before picking it.
Babbletype also has editing and translation jobs.
Translating audio to/ from Spanish to Portuguese pays $1.30/ audio minute.
To start on this site, sign up on their homepage and choose the category best for you.
- Translation and transcription jobs pay decently.
- Weekly payments through PayPal.
- Not available for English non-natives.
17. Verbal Ink
This transcription site is beginner-friendly but is only available to U.S residents only. They work with clients from different fields, so you are guaranteed a variety of work.
You can find job requirements posted on their homepage. To get started, send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consistently available work.
Their transcription jobs have strict deadlines.
This company hires U.S residents only. Also, you should have some experience to work as a transcriptionist on this site.
For instance, if you’re looking for medical transcription jobs on this site, you’ll need to have at least 1 – 5 years of experience. This applies to legal transcription too.
Ubiqus doesn’t show their payment rates publicly.
- Payment rates are reasonable. They pay per word you transcribe.
- They have constant workflow.
- This company allows you to design your own work schedule.
- Hires transcribers in the U.S. only.
19. Cambridge transcriptions
Cambridge transcriptions offers various categories of work to transcribe including interviews, conferences, lectures, webcasts and discussions.
These are the qualifications you should have if you want to work for this company:
- Fast typing speed.
- Ability to strictly follow instructions.
- Good mastery of English.
- Some experience in medical, legal, and technical transcription as an extra advantage.
To apply for a spot, you need to send them an email with documents like your resume, cover letter, and some proof of your expertise and experience to email@example.com.
- You get to set your work schedule.
- Responsive support.
- The application process is quite rigorous.
This is another that hires internationally. They usually have short gigs.
To join this site, go to their homepage and ‘Join as Individual’, fill in some required information and sit for their entrance test.
They usually pay $0.02 – $0.03 per audio minute.
- This company hires globally.
- The site is beginner-friendly since they don’t require any previous experience.
- Their audios are short which is best for beginner transcriptionists.
- The pay is low.
This company hires transcriptionists from all over the world.
On this site, you can either choose to work as an editor of transcribed files or a transcriptionist.
It’s pretty easy to get signed up and approved for Verbit.
They pay $0.30/ audio minute. Payments from this site are made bi-monthly through PayPal.
- You get to set a personalised work schedule.
- The pay on this site is decent.
- Their sign up and approval processes are easy to complete.
- Transcription jobs are occasionally scarce on this site.
- There is a really high chance that you’ll be getting unclear files to work on. This site has lots of them.
This company is limited to North America.
Their site has work from a variety of fields such as medical, legal, and media domains.
To qualify for work on this platform, you should have at least 2 years’ work experience or you should have successfully gone through some training recently.
This site requires you to work five days a week, and transcribe 500 lines (at least) on every one of your working days.
- Consistent workflow.
- Weekly PayPal payments.
Inflexible work schedule since you have to work at least 5 days/ week.
23. Transcription Hub
You need no experience to work for this company. However, you’ll first have to pass an entrance test to get hired to this site.
There are three categories of employees on this site: Gold, Silver and Bronze. The amount each employee earns depends on how much you take, and your employee level. To rise through the levels, you’ll need good ratings and accuracy in your work.
They pay once a month through PayPal, direct deposit or mailed check. Averagely, they pay $0.75/ minute of audio.
- Decent enough pay rates.
- Beginner-friendly site.
- Hires internationally.
- Variety of payment methods.
- Payment once a month isn’t flexible enough for most.
They have some of the best payment rates in the market. On average, their audios will get you anything between $30 and $60 an hour. Don’t be surprised if you bump into a gig offering $180 an hour!
To get started on this site, you’ll have to pass an entrance test. In this test, they mostly look at your accuracy, so you don’t have to have a fast typing speed to work for this company.
- They have some of the best payment rates the market has to offer.
- The company hires internationally.
- You don’t have to be a fast typist.
- The $35 application fee scares many potential transcribers away.
25. 3play Media
This is a transcription company offering transcription jobs purely to US residents.
To get employment in this company, you should have a typing speed of at least 75 wpm.
Their rates range between $10 to $30 per audio hour. They post jobs on their work board where you can select the best one for you.
- Their jobs pay decently.
- You get to choose the jobs to work on and when to work.
- It is limited only to US residents.
Which of These Companies Offering Transcription Jobs From Home Will Hire You?
Transcription jobs from home offer flexible working schedules. Of the 25 companies I’ve highlighted, you should be able to at least get transcription jobs on one or two of them.
As you’ve seen there are lots of options to work with in the transcription market. So read through the list again, pick the best ones for you and try signing up for them. If you do it right, you’re guaranteed to have one of the best paying transcription jobs from home.
Transcription is a great way to make money online. You can also combine transcription with other ways of making online like taking surveys to increase your earning potential.