What better way to make money than by doing the things we love? These days, it’s becoming easier to live off hobbies that make money.
What do you enjoy spending your time doing? It could be making art, writing, making apps, cooking, travelling and even shopping.
Anything you are interested in, you can make money from it. It can be a great way to make extra cash on the side. If you enjoy it, it hardly feels like work.
Here are some of the most exciting hobbies that make money in 2021.
Nowadays almost everyone owns a camera and taking photos is just the touch of a button away. Smartphone cameras have gotten way better in the last ten years than they did for over a century.
Everyone can take photos however and whenever they want. But, this does not mean that professional photographers are not on demand any more.
Everyone does it but not all of them enjoy it. Photography as a hobby is now more lucrative than it was ten years ago. The real skills have remained with the few who are really interested in the art of taking breathtaking photos.
There are so many ways you can monetize your hobby.
- Some of the best ways to make some money off your hobby are:
- Taking family photos for clients. Families still hire professional photographers to take family portraits and also for other important family events like christenings.
- You can be hired for events like weddings, and other gatherings.
- Starting a photography blog. You can write anything photography-related and build a community of followers. You can then join affiliate programs or sell courses and other merchandise on your website.
- Selling stock photos on websites like Shutterstock, iStockphoto, BigStock Photo and Fotolia. These websites buy your photos and sell them to anyone who needs them. For instance, bloggers use lots of stock photos to bring their stock photos to life.
- Work as a freelancer for photography blogs, websites and even startups.
- You can create online courses to teach people the art of taking good photos. Websites like Skillshare and Teachable will help you gain access to learners and hobbyists like you.
2. Coding and Web design
Coding, programming, web design and the like are almost the same things really. These skills have become some of the most sought after.
Small businesses, and websites and major companies are always on the hunt for people with skills like these.
Creating, redesigning and maintaining websites will be your job description if you decide to take this path.
Here is how coding is one of the hobbies that make money:
- You can design and maintain websites for clients.
- You can also create and sell website templates and themes.
- Web design is also the way to go and has become something of an online trend. This field is rapidly growing and evolving. This is why nobody has an exact idea of where this is all going to go.
Web design and coding are for anyone who likes to create and build things of their own. If you have an aptitude in this field, I suggest that you keep pursuing it avidly.
3. Design- logo design, graphic design
There are lots of design opportunities apart from web design. Creatives like these are on high demand and graphic design is one of the hobbies that make money and has lots of lucrative opportunities.
Design projects out there that come in all shapes and sizes.
You can do it as a part-time or full-time gig. As you work on more projects over time, build yourself a strong portfolio that displays your abilities.
If you are just starting your graphic design career, you will not miss small jobs and projects from clients, small organizations and startups.
Here’s how graphic design is one of the hobbies that make money:
- Freelance design work. You can find freelance jobs on freelance websites like Fiverr, 99 Designs, Upwork, Guru and DesignCrowd. Some like DesignCrowd and 99 Designs are more design-oriented than others. You will be able to find gigs and design projects of all sorts from different clients.
- Another way to make money easily is to make stock designs. These can be sold at design marketplaces like Creative Market.
- You can start a website to sell your designs and advertise your design services.
- Teaching design classes is also a viable option here. Create tutorials and classes that you can sell on your website or signup to platforms like Skillshare and Teachable.
Blogging is a tool that can be applied to almost any hobby you can think of. It is also a hobby in itself. Starting a blog is super-easy. You do not need any background knowledge in coding or programming.
And, Hosting platforms like Bluehost and Content Management Softwares like WordPress are highly automated to give you the best experience running your blog.
Whatever you are interested in sharing with the online community, blogging will help you do it in the best ways possible. It will also help you to greatly monetize your ideas and blog posts.
Blogging will also help you to spend more time on your hobby. It will help you to grow and develop your hobbies and other aspects of your life too.
For instance, you get to form strong bonds with your readers, making you feel more connected to a community that shares your passions and interests.
Blogs are assets that you can grow and sell later if you want to move on to new adventures.
Some of the ways blogging can be one of the hobbies that make money include:
- Joining affiliate programs. There are plenty of these. They allow you to monetize your articles advertising different products and services from different companies.
- Google AdSense
- Selling digital products like online courses and manuals
- Advertising your freelance services or a company you own
- Publishing sponsored content
- Displaying ads like banners
Writing is one of the best hobbies that make money. This is because it has many lucrative opportunities you can benefit from.
One of the best options to explore is freelance writing. This is a lucrative opportunity to start making money today. There is a great demand for writers to create written content for blogs and other websites.
Writing jobs are available in both the online and offline setting.
Some of the ways writing is one of the hobbies that make money include:
- Joining freelance sites like Fiverr, NeonWriter, Guru and Upwork. These will get you access to thousands of writing jobs on the internet.
- Writing articles for magazines
- Creating and selling ebooks
- Writing greeting cards
In some ways, starting a YouTube channel is similar to blogging. You can start a channel and start creating content on any topic you find interesting.
Millions of people use YouTube every second so monetizing your content is much easier.
YouTube is a great learning tool. You can make tutorials to teach your audience about anything from photography, design, DIY or anything else you might be skilled at.
Some of the ways vlogging can be one of the hobbies that make money include:
- Promote affiliate products on your videos
- Ad clicks
- Sell sponsorships for your shows
7. Start a Podcast
Podcasting is also one of the best hobbies that make money. A podcast is an audio version of a blog or a YouTube channel. Podcasts can be about anything you fancy. This is as long as you will be able to create a following of listeners out of it.
You can even do podcasts in combination with a blog. This is a very effective method of creating a large following for both your blog and podcasts. Many bloggers do this.
And it works because you engage your audience by providing them with quality written and audio content.
Here are some ways podcasting can be one of the hobbies that make money:
- Podcast sponsorships. Different brands will pay you to advertise products on your shows. They sometimes even give you samples of the product to try out.
- Sell your own products. You can sell the courses you create for your audience. Other products you create can also be sold via the podcast.
- Promote other podcasts and blogs.
8. Social Media
I’m guessing that social media is already a well-developed hobby of yours. How much time do you spend on social media sites every day?
You might just see it as a great pastime but it is also a powerful money-making tool. When you learn to harness its power, it will be more than just a pastime.
Businesses use it to connect to reach their customers who already spend so much time on it. This had led to the creation of the post of ‘Social Media Managers’, who are now in high demand.
Many businesses outsource social media-related work, which means that there is an opening for anyone to be hired for this post.
If you enjoy social media, why not get paid to do it?
Here are some other ways to make money with social media:
- Become an influencer. You will need to build a following for this one. Influencers make money mainly from brand sponsorships. This is a popular trend for Instagram right now.
- Working as a Facebook ad manager.
- Become a Pinterest virtual assistant.
9. Take surveys
Taking online surveys is one of the most popular ways to make some cash on the side these days. I attribute this to the growing number of survey companies available in the market.
If taking online surveys is not your hobby yet, then I guarantee you that it will be soon. Sign up for Swagbucks or Survey Junkie right here to try one out yourself.
Surveys are easy to complete and you can do it in your spare time. You hardly have to do any heavy thinking at all.
All you will be doing is sharing your thoughts on different products and services. These products are relevant to your demographic so you do not have to answer boring review questions on some brand you’ve never even heard of.
Surveys do not take up much of your time either. Depending on its length, a typical survey will take you anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to complete. The rewards you earn from taking surveys will be anything from $5 to $50 per survey.
If you haven’t tried taking surveys before, I suggest that you start thinking of getting signed up for one of the many survey sites. I personally recommend Swagbucks or Survey Junkie. Their surveys are legit and they have good payout options like PayPal for cash and gift cards.
Other survey sites you may want to look at include: Vindale Research, InboxDollars, Pinecone Research and Prize Rebel.
10. Browsing the internet
Browsing is also one of the hobbies that make money. I’m guessing that many of you already do this every half hour or so. You already do it so many times a day so why not get paid doing it?
Sites like Swagbucks help you make money this way. You can earn money surfing the web with Swagbucks by installing their proprietary search engine.
You can also watch their sponsored online videos and ads and play games among other activities to earn redeemable points(SBs).
Swagbucks will pay you in points. Once you have accumulated these points, you can redeem them in the form of cash or gift cards. 100SBs will earn you $1.
InboxDollars, a company that offers services almost similar to Swagbucks’, also helps you to make money surfing the web using their search engine. You can also earn some rewards watching videos, playing games and a variety of other offers.
Unlike Swagbucks, InboxDollars rewards you in cash. You can have this cash paid directly to your PayPal account or you can convert it into gift cards which can be used at different stores.
Other companies like Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel will pay you to share some of your browsing data with them. If you can take the risk of having some program snoop around your browsing data, why not?
You are not going to make a lot of money this way but at least your downtime will be well spent.
Driving is a legit hobby and there are more ways than one to monetize it.
These kinds of apps are steadily on the rise. Ridesharing apps are a popular alternative to conventional taxis.
If you live in a major city or an urban area, there are many delivery jobs that require your services. Companies like Instacart focus on restaurant and grocery delivery options. Amazon also has some great openings for delivery drivers.
If you are up for it, you may want to consider the added maintenance costs for your car as you put more and more miles on it.
This is one of my favourite hobbies that make money! You can make money every time you go out buying stuff.
There are some options when it comes to earning money shopping.
Option #1: Working in the gig economy. You can earn money shopping the same way mystery shoppers do. Signing up for mystery shopping websites and platforms like Field Agent and IntelliShop.
Shopping and delivery services like Shipt and Instacart allow you to make money shopping for and delivering groceries to customers.
Option 2, you can make money on your shopping trips by signing up for apps and services that help you to save money.
There are many apps and websites that will help you save a coin or two on your shopping trips. For example, there are apps like Paribus, which scan your receipts and negotiate any price differences on products after you buy them.
There are others like Rakuten, that help you to find the best deals on the things you buy. These websites come in all shape and form. They are a handy tool especially when you do lots of online shopping.
You will not make hundreds of dollars at a time, but in the long run, they will save you a lot of money that could have been otherwise wasted.
Other ways to earn money shopping:
- Working as a personal shopper or assistant.
13. Restoring furniture
Flipping furniture is one of the best hobbies that make money for you if you are great at making items or pieces of art with your hands.
You can easily get used furniture for free or at yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets or on Craig’s list. You then use your skills to refinish them and sell them for profit.
Flipping furniture sounds like a fun venture. It is also quite profitable. Especially if you work with antique furniture. Collectors will pay you quite handsomely for this kind of furniture.
One of the advantages of this side hustle is that it does not require a huge initial capital. You only need a couple of bucks to get started.
Other ways to make money flipping furniture:
- Start a blog out flipping furniture and DIY furniture hacks
- Make an online course teaching other interested people how to flip and sell furniture
14. Making art, crafts and other handmade goods
There is a lot to do under this but they all boil down to the same thing really – you selling these crafts.
If you love getting your hands dirty making art, crafts or other handmade goods, then this one’s for you. By art, craft and other handmade goods, I mean making items like jewellery, furniture, paintings, sketches or anything else that requires some dexterity, mastery and time to make.
Not so long ago, you had to go through the whole process of creating and another, more tedious one of finding buyers. Nowadays everything is much simpler with Etsy.
This online marketplace has turned craft-making into one of the hobbies that make money and in the process, made the lives of average creators much simpler.
This platform has made it easier for people to find your creations. You can quickly and easily open an Etsy shop to sell the products you create with ease.
Your products are guaranteed to find buyers. Many shoppers especially ladies with an eye for artsy items flock to this site each day to find jewellery and items to improve their homes.
If you are already creating, why not set up an Etsy shop today?
15. Cooking or Baking
Anything to do with food is highly lucrative. So if you enjoy getting creative in the kitchen, then don’t let your skill and creativity go to waste. This is one of the best hobbies that can make money for you.
Whatever you are good at, cooking or baking, there is a demand for what you do best.
There are many ways you can use this hobby to make money.
If you are good at baking, you can take local orders for birthday cakes, family gatherings and other events that you may think will require your services.
If you are good at cooking, you can get hired for local events or cook for families or even get hired as a personal chef.
Other ways to make money with this hobby:
- Blogging is the best way to share your recipe creations and other topics related to food. Blogs are convenient and are one of the most efficient ways to monetize your hobby.
- Start a YouTube channel
- Work as an Instagram influencer
- Teach cooking classes
- Write a recipe book
16. Get into Fashion and Beauty
The fashion and beauty industry is one of the largest and most profitable to work in. There is a lot to do here if you enjoy everything about fashion. You can do it as a side hustle or work full time.
You can work as a makeup artist or offer fashion consulting. If you are really into it, you can create and sell products of your own. These could be hand-made creations or you could start a private fashion label.
Other examples of how fashion is one of the best hobbies that make money:
- Start a fashion blog
- Start a YouTube channel
- Create a podcast
17. Health and Fitness- personal trainer, yoga instructor
Many people are passionate about fitness. If you are one of these people, why don’t you make it into a money-making hobby? The possibilities are endless.
This hobby becomes even more lucrative when you take it online. Here, there are opportunities for teaching, product creation.
Here are some of the ways fitness is one of the hobbies that can make you money:
- You can work as a personal trainer. Many people who want to get fit employ, fitness trainers, to help them achieve their fitness goals.
- Work as a fitness consultant.
- Teach yoga, pilates or spinning classes
- Start a blog
- Create a YouTube channel
- Create fitness ebooks and video courses to sell online
Travelling is among the fun hobbies that can make you money easily be turned into a full-time career. Others have done it, why not you?
You can also do it part-time. This is challenging because you have to find a way of doing it without interfering with your life and responsibilities like your main job, school or relationships.
You can start it off by just writing about your weekend trips or short vacations. This is a great option if you have little time to travel. You can also write about your city/ town’s local attractions. Your blog could feature all the local attractions around you.
Other ways to travelling is one of the hobbies that make money:
- Travel hacking
- You could work as a part-time or full-time travel agent
- Start a travel podcast
- Start a YouTube channel
This is for anyone who loves hosting and entertaining people.
Ways hospitality is one of the hobbies that make money:
- Rent out a room or two on Airbnb
- Offer local tours to tourists
- Host an experience for travellers with Withlocals
- You could start a bed and breakfast.
Earing money playing games sounds like a dream job. This sounds far-fetched but some people earn money playing video games.
Here are some of the ways playing video games is one of the hobbies that make money:
- Start a YouTube channel. Here, you can stream your live gameplay.
- Competitive gaming
- Start a podcast
- Sell your video game accounts
Evaluating the income potential of hobbies that make money
It would be great if all our hobbies would help us making money. However, this is not the case. Out of all the hobbies you have, probably one or two of them are the best in terms of income potential.
Evaluating your hobbies and any business ideas you have is something you should do before going forward.
Here are some of the questions you should ask when evaluating your hobby business ideas:
- Are people passionate enough about this hobby to be willing to spend money on whatever you will be selling?
- What will you be selling? Is it a product or a service?
- Will your hobby or idea be still a thing 5 or 10 years from now?
- Can this idea be turned into a full-time business?
Final Thoughts on Hobbies That Make Money
What idea resonates with you in my list of hobbies that make money? Could be photography, writing or making crafts.
Whatever it is you enjoy doing, you’ve seen that pretty much anything can be turned into a hobby that can make you money. The internet has made this especially true.
Is it possible to make a living off these hobbies that pay? Absolutely. These ideas are just but a few examples of how you can earn a comfortable living from the things you love to do.