Dogs are a constant source of joy and amusement. This is one of the main reasons why they are regarded as man’s best friend. They have peculiar personalities and funny quirks that make them fun to be around. That’s why these funny names for male dogs are great for your new pup.
There are plenty of funny and awesome dog names available. The following article contains a list of funny dog names for you to choose from.
Unusual male dog names
- Axel: Is a German name meaning ‘father of peace.’ It is a name befitting a loving and peaceful dog.
- Bronson: Is a name of middle English origin meaning ‘son of the brown man.’ The name suits a male dog with a brown coat.
- Cesar: Is a diminutive of the Latin word ‘Caesaries’ which means ‘head of hair.’ It is the perfect name for a dog with a beautiful coat such as the Bernese breed.
- Draco: Is a Latin name for ‘dragon.’ The name was made popular by the Harry Potter films. It is a good name for a fierce and mischievous dog.
- Enzo: Is a name of Italian origin meaning ‘home ruler.’ It is a wonderful name
- Gideon: Is a Hebrew name with strong Biblical roots meaning ‘powerful warrior.’ It is an ideal name for a strong and powerful dog.
- Kye: A name of Greek, Scandinavian, and Gaelic origin meaning ‘keeper of the keys, straight, narrow, or Earth.’
- Maddox: Is an Anglo-Welsh name meaning ‘benefactor’s son.’
- Pedro: Is a name of Spanish origin meaning ‘rock.’ It is a special name for a special dog.
- Ulrik: Is a German name meaning ‘power of the wolf.’ It is an awesome name that fits wolf-like dog breeds.
Funny names based on Dog characters in movies
- Courage: After the timid dog with paranoia problems in Courage the Cowardly Dog. The name suits a brave and loyal dog.
- Peabody: After the brilliant talking dog who adopts a human son in Mr Peabody and Sherman. The name suits an intelligent dog.
- Brian: After the talking white labrador and a member of the Griffin family in Family Guy. The name is perfect for white dogs.
- Butkus: After the beloved dog of Rocky Balboa in the Rocky film series.
- Scooby: After the main character in the American animated franchise Scooby Doo.The name suits a smart loyal dog.
- Spike: After the gray bulldog in Tom and Jerry
- Rowlf the Dog: Is a scruffy brown dog and is a Muppets character.
- Odie: After the dog that gets bullied constantly by Garfield in the Garfield comic strip.
Check out these cartoon character names for dogs.
Funny names for Male black dogs
- Django: After the protagonist in the Western film Django Unchained. It is an awesome and funny name for a black dog.
- BlackJack: After the popular card game or a leather-covered hand weapon. The name suits a black dog.
- Jack Black: After the famous and hilarious American actor. This is a perfect name for a lively mischievous black dog.
- Darth Vader: This is an excellent name for a pup with a bit of the dark side in him. The name is inspired by a character in the Star Wars films.
- Batman: After the badass superhero of the DC comics and films.
- Urkel: After the hilarious character in the American sitcom Family Matters.
- Espresso: After the coffee-brewing method of Italian origin. It is a funny and cute name for black dogs.
- Fat Albert: After the animated character in the comedy film going by the same name. It is a fantastic name for a chubby black dog.
Funny names for Male white dogs
- Marshmallow: After the popular camping snack. It is a funny name for white dogs.
- Casper: Is an awesome name for white dogs inspired by the friendly ghost in an animated cartoon series going by the same name.
- Beluga: Is an ideal name for white dogs inspired by the beluga whale, a type of white whale.
- Jon Snow: After the King in the North in Game of Thrones. It is an awesome name for a white pooch.
- Albus: Is a name that translates to ‘white’ in Latin. It is also the name of the famous wizard Albus Dumbledore from the Harry Potter books and movies.
- Snoopy: After Charlie Brown’s pet white Beagle in the comic strip Peanuts.
- Bones: they are also white and dogs love to chew them
Funny male dog names based on TV characters
- Vito: After Don Vito Corleone in the film The Godfather. It is an awesome and funny name to give to your dog.
- Jules: After one of the main characters in Pulp fiction. He was an amazing and funny character in the film and would make a badass name for your dog.
- Bond: After the main protagonist in the James Bond movies. It’s a funny name and a good talking point when introducing your dog to friends.
- Baymax: Is inspired by one of the heroes in the animated Big Hero 6. The name would be a perfect reference name for a chubby white pup.
- Jack: After Captain Jack Sparrow in The Pirates of the Caribbean. He is a witty and funny character in the film. It is a funny name befitting a cunning and playful pup.
- Loki: After the Norse god of mischief and a character in the Avengers and Thor Marvel movie series. The name suits a mischievous pup.
Funny male dog names inspired by book characters
- Finn: After Huckleberry Finn, a character from Mark Twain classics; The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
- Bilbo Baggins: After the main protagonist in the Hobbit and a supporting character in the Lord of the Rings
- Moby: After the giant sperm whale in the famous novel Moby Dick.
- Watson: After Sherlock’s best friend and assistant in the Sherlock Holmes book series.
- Sherlock: After the legendary fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes in the famous book series going by the same name.
- Gatsby: After the mysterious millionaire, Jay Gatsby, in the book The Great Gatsby.
- Atticus: Is a name of Latin origin made popular by the book ‘to kill a Mockingbird.’
- Padfoot: After Sirius Black or Padfoot, Harry’s godfather in Harry Potter. It is the perfect name for a large black dog.
Final Thoughts On Funny Names For Male Dogs
Hopefully, the above list of funny dog names has enabled you to narrow down to a unique and creative name to give to your dog.